Re: [LUG] Easiest way to backup dual-layer DVDs?

Adrian Midgley wrote:

On Sunday 22 February 2004 15:17, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

I've been wondering
whether I can back up my DVD movies too.

Not legally.

That's not what I asked ;-) Do the normal laws about being able to make one backup for personal use only not apply?

If you are staging it as part of playing a DVD you own then copying it onto a magnetic disc is not something to which I can see a cogent objection, although there are well-organised groups who would attempt to stop you.

They don't know where I live :-P (I hope)

Can one mount such a collection as a loop and play it as a DVD drive, BTW?

I think so. You can certainly mount an ISO as if it were a device or else I'm guessing a media player should be able to deal with playing a collection of VOB files on any filesystem.

Cheers,

Jon