[LUG] Easiest way to backup dual-layer DVDs?

I've bought a DVD burner :-) Should turn up next week sometime.

I've been surfing around trying to get my head around how to set everything up, but I'm afraid I've been failing due to my limited number of active brain cells :-( Linux support for burning data DVDs seems to be nice n' easy, which is the primary objective, but I've been wondering whether I can back up my DVD movies too.

All I want to do is:
*  Read the DVD onto the hard disk
*  Burn it back onto DVD

That seems to be quite simple if it's a single layer disk, as it's pretty much a straight copy. Dvdbackup looks promising on this front, but it doesn't support copying dual-layer (DVD-9) movies to two single-layer discs yet: http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/dvdbackup-readme.html

Other methods seem to centre around ripping it, extracting the video, extracting the audio, compressing both, recreating a DVD file structure and burning it back to DVD. Which seem like rather a lot of effort and also rather a shame at having to lower the quality when I really wouldn't mind spending 70p on an extra disc.

Is my understanding of this correct? Does anybody know of any alternative approaches?

Cheers,

Jon