Re: [LUG] Easiest way to backup dual-layer DVDs?

Robin Cornelius wrote:

I've also got a DVD burner but to date it has been a disaster! In theory modified versions of cdrecord support DVD burners just like CD burners and you just fire approprate images at cdrecord. I'm convinced i have a media problem, i bought a cake of 50 DVD-R but i think the DVD writer does not like them. Its a project for next week at work!

(don't mean to put you off!)

Already thought of that one ;-) One of my colleagues said he had problems with some types of discs, so he's given me a couple to test before I go and buy a load of them.

As for the video are the different sections/chapters of the DVD normaly in different physical files on the disk anyway and the dvd player attempts to seamlessly play them togher (you sometimes get a glitch at change over) so you may be able to just rip the vob files and then just burn them back as 2 video dvds

Okay, so just manually choose the first 4.4Gb of VOB files to burn to the first DVD, use mkisofs to create an ISO and dvdrecord to burn it? Simple as that? The author of dvdbackup makes it sound rather more difficult in his TO-DO list:

"Make a split mirror (-S) option that divides a DVD-9 to two valid DVD-5 video structures. This is not a trivial hack and it's my main goal the next month or so. It involves writing ifoedit and vobedit libraries in order to be able to manipulate both the IFO structures and the VOB files. Out of this will most probably also come tscreate and vtscreate which will enable you to make a very simple DVD-Video from MPEG-1/2 source."

Which I freely admit to understanding very little of, save the "not a trivial hack" bit...

otherwise you will need to to a complete rip but there should be no need to run the files through a compressor. But you may as well remove macrovision at the same time, i have a situation where I would have routed by DVD player through the scart in my video to save me buying a switch box but i can't because macrovision stops me!.

I'm not too fussed about removing macrovision unless it's trivial, I guess I can generally just deal with it on playback.

Cheers,

Jon