Re: [LUG] Process refuses to run in background

Simon Waters wrote:

Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

I'm trying to get a user-space program, Mutella, to run in the background.

*  "nohup mutella &" - mutella exits silently, it just says "stopped"
*  "nohup mutella" - it just sits there, but mutella doesn't run

Okay, so maybe this is a Mutella-specific problem, in which case you
probably can't help me, but i was under the impression that any program
that you can run in the foreground can be run in the background?

Nope - you can't background processes that expect keyboard input.

Usually they stop when they attempt to access the TTY, and issue an
appropriate error (which you might be missing?).

It doesn't seem to output any error in nohup.out, although your diagnosis seems logical.

What happens if you foreground the process i.e. "jobs" "fg %n" where n
is the relevant job - and sometimes a "ctrl-L" is useful to redraw the
screen.

Erm, no, when I try to run it in the background it dies instantly.

These days you can use "screen" to leave such processes running, and
resume connection when and from where you like, but if they stop
expecting input, it probably won't have done much in the interim.

# apt-get install screen
# man screen
# screen -d -m mutella
# logout

Ooh! I think you've cracked it! Thanks! :-)

Cheers,

Jon