Re: [LUG] Learning a language with linux

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:24:55AM +0000, Robin Cornelius wrote:
The thing about GUI programming is you waste more time programming the GUI

When it comes to GUI programming and User Interfaces in general. Let me
remind you all of the most important developments of the past years.
For some reason people just candidly ignore it, time and time again.

There is only one user interface.

And that is the web. Using XHTML and CSS is far easier than messing
about with stupid widgets. Learn it.

On the subject of teaching languages. How many times have I seen this
before? I always feel a little stupid debating time and time again when
there are countless resources on the web, and slashdot must of covered
the subject at least once a year.

However, let me throw in my 2c about what to teach. When it comes to
learning, I wish there was a course at primary school that teaches
proper basics. Like putting them on a proper editor at a young age.
Getting them familiar with CVS. Filing bug reports. Sending patches.
Applying patches. Oh there is more, but I hope you get my drift.

Even here in my school, you find people who do not know these tools. And
it wastes time.