Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni, Sun's

On Saturday 31 Jan 2004 6:39 pm, frank black wrote:

 On Sun's:

 Would love to use linux on something non-x86 for a change but it seems
it's either

- too slow to be useful
or
- too expensive

 The best is Macs but even that's a bit common.

Well, quality costs money.
And it depends on what you call "useful". I have a selection of Sun machines,
most are just for me to play with, but I have one acting as a mailing list
server (50MHz) and one as a desktop system (dual 55MHz). They may not be fast
machines, but they are both "useful" to me.

There are occasional bargins to be had. Keep an eye on eBay and LUG lists.
Last year I managed to pick up a DEC Alpha 300MHz system for just £45 (can
sell for >=£100) at a ManLUG meeting.

Regards,
David.