Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni, Sun's

 Saw about 50 14" CRT monitors going into the crusher last year.

:( Damn waste, It's not like the materials will ever break down. I'm in
my first year at Plymouth, but I managed to raid lots of stuff from
skips at my college, most of which went back into the local community as
OpenOffice desktops for people that couldn't afford to buy even a second
hand p90 ;).

 On Sun's:

 Would love to use linux on something non-x86 for a change but it seems
it's either

- too slow to be useful
or
- too expensive

My favourite machine for running linux on was my PPC(603e@xxxxxx) Amiga
1200, great times before it's graphics card died :(. Debian is fast
enough on my SparcStation 20(50mhz SuperSparcII) to be useful as a mail
server, backing up keys, work etc, running a freeciv server; It'd
probably be a dog as a desktop machine but is quite useful for
off-loading various deamons from my main x86 box.

If you want a cheap-ish non x86 box for a linux desktop there is the
AmigaOne series of boards. They're currently shipping full ATX boards
with various G3/G4's upto 1ghz IIRC and will be producing a ITX board
with on-board radeon graphics soon. Linux has been ported, AmigaOS4 will
be along soon. Oh and there is also the Pegasos/PegasosII but they seem
in short supply.