Re: [LUG] uptime oddity

Neil Williams wrote:

 Well, it turns out that in a 32-bit number, you can store 497.1 days before
the number wraps.

I didn't know that so I thought I'd let you all know too.
:-))

As a criteria for deciding what to inform us about, what Neil doesn't
know might be a bit lax ;)

Netcraft's website explains the uptime thing, which is why BSD variants
have best uptimes (they count it correctly).

Of course uptime is a pretty meaningless criteria once your dealing with
stable systems. Application availability or service availability is much
more interesting and generally(!) much lower (except for DNS).