Re: [LUG] NVIDIA driver installation after kernel update

On Thursday 08 January 2004 4:05 pm, Neil Williams wrote:
Easy enough for those have some knowledge but can you
imagine an ordinary user attempting this? We just shouldn't
have to do all this after a security update. Linux will never
become a user's OS until this sort of procedure is
eliminated.

True. Is the problem based in the hiatus in SUSE because of the impending
approach of Novell, perhaps? Someone at SUSE not quite on-the-ball? It
certainly doesn't help that nVidia drivers are not open source but the
important thing is to REPORT the issue, get it public. As you've also
managed to solve it, you have made the solution public too. Only then will
the software advance.

I don't think SuSE/Novell issue is at fault here. Exactly the same
problems arose after the previous kernel update which was some
time before the merger was announced. Moreover the Nvidia preamble
to the driver code appears to be heavily Redhat based and as we know
there are distro peculiarities. While Nvidia and SuSE are supposed
to be working together googling seems to reveal that Nvidia
are some way behind the latest kernel devlopments and SuSE updates.
I'm sure that if the Nvidia code was open source their drivers would be
more up-to-date (ergo more efficient) and constructed so as to make
driver reinstallation unnecessary after a kernel update.

Keith
--
SuSE 8.2 on ECS K7S5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM,
Maxtor 20GB HD and using KDE's Kmail