[LUG] NVIDIA driver installation after kernel update

Finally got the an NVIDIA driver installed on SuSE 8.2
after the kernel security update.

The old Nvidia 4496 wouldn't install so I downloaded
the latest driver (5328) and followed the nvidia-installer-HOWTO
on SuSE's site.

For those that are interested the procedure I used is as follows..

CTRL-ALT-F1
log into root
init 3
nvidia-installer --uninstall    (removes old driver)
rmmod nvidia    (just to be on the safe side)
cd /tmp (or wherever you put the downloaded driver pakage)
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5329-pkg1.run
sax2 -m 0=nvidia
When sax2 opens click change config. Make sure resolutions
are still correct. and then finalize. Ignore error messages.
Restart X

Easy enough for those have some knowledge but can you
imagine an ordinary user attempting this? We just shouldn't
have to do all this after a security update. Linux will never
become a user's OS until this sort of procedure is
eliminated.

Keith
--
SuSE 8.2 on ECS K7S5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM,
Maxtor 20GB HD and using KDE's Kmail