Re: [LUG] NVIDIA driver installation after kernel update

On Thursday 08 Jan 2004 3:32 pm, Keith Abraham wrote:
Finally got the an NVIDIA driver installed on SuSE 8.2
after the kernel security update.

The old Nvidia 4496 wouldn't install so I downloaded
the latest driver (5328) and followed the nvidia-installer-HOWTO
on SuSE's site.

For those that are interested the procedure I used is as follows..

Thanks for documenting that Keith - Google will make your solution available
to everyone in a classic example of the benefits of sharing both code and
experience freely.

Easy enough for those have some knowledge but can you
imagine an ordinary user attempting this? We just shouldn't
have to do all this after a security update. Linux will never
become a user's OS until this sort of procedure is
eliminated.

True. Is the problem based in the hiatus in SUSE because of the impending
approach of Novell, perhaps? Someone at SUSE not quite on-the-ball? It
certainly doesn't help that nVidia drivers are not open source but the
important thing is to REPORT the issue, get it public. As you've also managed
to solve it, you have made the solution public too. Only then will the
software advance.

Google does visit the archives for this list on a very regular basis - as it
does many other LUG archives across the world. It is worth re-stating:

1. If you have a problem with a Linux system :
       Google for it and then report it here or direct to the developers.

2. If you solve the problem -
       report the solution here, in full, as well as to the developers.

3, Even if it is just to say, "I found the answer to this problem at this site
via Google", it is still worth reporting here.

That's how ordinary users can become part of the development process. It's all
about doing for others what you would like done for you.

--

Neil Williams