Re: [LUG] Laptop Woes

On Thursday 01 Jan 2004 7:41 pm, David Johnson wrote:
On Thursday 01 Jan 2004 5:25 pm, TrevorASansom@xxxxxxx wrote:
If I can blag a refund can anyone recommend a laptop for unde £800 with
Linux compatible modem & soundcard?

Have a look at www.novatech.co.uk. I've had about 3 or 4 laptops from them

I like the look of the cheapest laptop on their list - without OS, CDRW/DVD
combo, 256MB RAM, built in eth0, no (pointless) floppy, no serial port (sign
of the times), 4 USB2 (ditto), 3.5kg. 3-In-1 Card Reader ? Sounds like a
built-in CompactFlash/Multimedia Card/SD card reader. Flashy. You can afford
a separate case and delivery and still have change from your refund.

over the years all of which have run Linux perfectly. The modem is
supported via a non-free driver but it works fine. Oh, and you can buy them
OSless if you so wish :-)
Not to mention that they're great value for money.

My only contribution is:
Don't buy Advent.
Do consider Acer - Neil(S) and Rick have been using Acer laptops without
problems for some time. However, don't expect any Linux support from Acer -
their website code is probably the worst I have ever used. They are trying to
use tags that don't exist (NOWRAP), nesting <html> inside another <html> tag,
using HTML ro reduce full-screen images to 1inch previews in memory instead
of on the server - there isn't a single line of the 300 line search result
page that is even HTML3 compliant, let alone 4. "We don't support Linux, we
don't care about you, we don't care about accessibility or standards, we know
it works in IE so bog off. Acer 2004."

--

Neil Williams