Re: [LUG] open office in libraries

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 15:47, Neil Williams wrote:

Generally, this method is far less effective than individual letters (snail
mail, printed, letters). Mainly because it's obvious that the email has been
generated automatically. (If you don't care enough to write your own letter,
why should they care enough to read your automated complaint/proposal?) If
someone receives a petition of signatures, it means a lot less than half the
number of individual letters.

IMHO, email is a weak medium for such campaigns because it is very difficult
to make a bulk email not look like spam. (If it wasn't so difficult, spammers
would be the only winners.)

Cornwall Library at least has a well defined process for
comments/complaints. I've moved out of the area and no longer have the
details but the local librarians proved helpful  (and very sympathetic)
when I wanted to complain about the appalling web filtering system that
is in place  (try using a library terminal to research censorware). I
would certainly recommend approaching your local librarian as a first
port of call, librarians have their own values with regards to
information and openness  and you might just find a sympathetic audience
who can suggest the best way forward.

Its over twenty years since I did any work in Libraries (I used to be a
volunteer librarian once upon a time) back when some of them were still
using card indexes (and I am glad I learned how to use them). But even
then Librarians were struggling with funding levels that meant stock was
leaving the system through depreciation faster than in could be
replaced. Needless to say the situation hasn't improved in the
intervening period. What I do seem to remember is that they were open to
the possibility of receiving donations if they were in the right format
and were given without obvious political bias and in a way that meshed
with system.

As to the former, it seems that a lot of the groundwork has been already
done, but there is, I feel, a case for doing this on a coordinated,
national basis, rather than piecemeal. As to the latter its worth
remembering that a Librarian's raison d'etre is to make information
freely available, at no cost, so perhaps our two cultures, to arrogate a
phrase, might make natural bedfellows. Asking politely will certainly do
no harm, as long you remember, like most people are overworked and
underpaid.

Paul M