Re: [LUG] IBM draws first blood in SCO Linux battle

Adrian Midgley wrote:

On Monday 08 December 2003 23:38, Simon Waters wrote:

Jon Lawrence wrote:

SCO will pay the ultimate price for being complete arseholes
hopefully, and that price will be IBM taking complete and utter
control of their company as there's no way they'll be able to raise
enough cash to pay for bills.

Thing is apart from a fairly broad customer base of old x86 servers, SCO
is worth nothing but it's software licences.

There is a distinct need for a ready solution - with support to commercially credible levels - for any company or SME that depends on a SCO server and is worried about SCO going away.

Linux for preference I'd say.

The alternative would be that NT sellers would be clustering around, ready to re-engineer them at I expect a larger price.

Do we have that, locally?

Anyone considered the GNU/Hurd option?

I'm seriously considering having a play with Hurd if I can get my hands on another PC. I believe that the Hurd kernel (Mach kernel, Hurd servers) could become a serious competitor to the Linux kernel with few more years of development. The GNU programs will remain the same, at least from a user perspective it would be near identical to GNU/Linux. Porting programs from Linux to Hurd would be just a recompile.

Should I discuss Hurd on this list? Are there any local Hurd user groups?

If anyone has used Hurd I would like to hear about their experiences.

Regards
Andrew Rogers