RE: [LUG] k_athlon security update takes out Nvidia 3D

> I've updated my kernel to k_athlon-2.4.20-101 on my SuSE 8.2
> system. Since then I've lost Nvidia 3D acceleration and I
> can't reinstall the driver due to the lack of a precompiled kernel.

i fudge that can *sometimes* work is to copy the old nvidia module (nvidia.o) from your old kernel modules directory /lib/modules/youroldkernelname to your new kernel modules directory /lib/modules/newkernelname, in those directories somewhere under drivers/video/ or somthing (have a hunt) you will find a nvidia.o copy it accross then have a go at modprobing it to see if it is compatable ("modprobe nvidia.o").

if module was build with modversions then it will work or inform you it is not correct) if not it will either work or do somthing nasty! (like a ooops). Worth a try instead of a 2 and a bit hour download.

Robin