Re: [LUG] You owe SCO Unix 500 quid!

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 00:11:14 +0000
Simon Robert <simon-robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> They have started an action against IBM and Redhat, which involves serving
> a subpoena on a Mr Torvald, as Linux distributors. There is also an action
> against Novell as Novell apparently signed a no competition with SCO many
> years ago when they, Novell, bought some pretty minor bits of software from
> SCO. Novell's acquisition of Suse they reckon breaks the agreement.

I wonder how, exactly, they intend on linking Mr Torvalds to their alleged misuse of proprietary Unix code?  He doesn't work for either IBM or RedHat so what are they intending on charging him with, exactly?  That would, in my view, be like trying to charge the _owner_ of a very large art gallery with fraud when it is discovered that one of their 'masterpieces' is a fake.  Sure, Linus is supposed to be in overall charge of overseeing kernel development, but is it really expected that he should critique every line of code?  And how are you supposed to critique code to ensure its 'originality' (in the sense of it being original code) against a code-base that is kept hidden (SCO)?  Pah!

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.