[LUG] You owe SCO Unix 500 quid!

Hi
looking at the posts about M*cr*s*ft and FAT files I was reminded of the current stuff with SCO Unix.

The SCO corp were apparently part of the group which originated Unix. They are now getting very heavy with lawsuits, claiming that the Linux kernel contains thousands of lines of SCO developed code and that any company using Linux is infringing their copyright (this has nothing to do with the impact that Linux in specific and open source software in general is having on the share price of a company that does nothing apart from flog proprietary unix systems).

SCO is demanding that all Linux using companies should pay them an $800 licence fee or get sued. There is a ninety day deadline on this. They promise that a number of high profile companies will be hit when the deadline expires.

They have started an action against IBM and Redhat, which involves serving a subpoena on a Mr Torvald, as Linux distributors. There is also an action against Novell as Novell apparently signed a no competition with SCO many years ago when they, Novell, bought some pretty minor bits of software from SCO. Novell's acquisition of Suse they reckon breaks the agreement.

It does not appear that many corporations have paid the licence fee, although SCO have had over ten enquiries.

So I hope that we're all stashing 500 quid away ready to pay it out to SCO in a month or two....

simon-robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://mysite.freeserve.com/simon_robert