Re: [LUG] Disappointed with RH :was: redhat no longer producing errata.

On Tuesday 04 Nov 2003 2:25 pm, Brough, Tom wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >A question for those of you running production webservers on RedHat
> > system. What a you going to be using after RedHat stop producing errata
> > on 31 Dec
>
> 03 ?
>
> >I'm thinking of moving all our servers over to debian. Has any one any
> >experience of running coldfusion on Debian servers.
>
> RH have "gone commercial"
>
> Your choices are:
>
> Sign up for Enterprise Edition (with a starship type fee).
> Go to Fedora (Which is the "community" version of RAH and as such a
> "rolling beta" product)
> Move to another distro.
>
> RH are in their rights to make this move, but I think personally its a big
> mistake. They are trying to keep one foot in each camp but the foot in the
> commercial camp is much more firmly routed. I'm not sure if I want to
> support the Fedora project. On the one hand it is community lead, on the
> other its being used (openly) as a sandbox testing ground for all things RH
> Enterprise, I'm not sure I want to be used as a RH beta tester in the same
> way that a certain Redmond based company uses its users as beta testers.

You are quite right in that they can make this move if they wish.
As a network manager for an ISP, it's going to give me one hell of a headache.
We have quite a few servers in our datacenter that we offer as a managed
product. Having RedHat licensing fees on top (esp' if it's $349 per year) is
going to seriously screw up my pricing.

Has anyone worked out RedHat's pricing yet.
The front page of their website says that RHEL is sold by annual subscription.
When you click on buy (for eg RHEL ES) you see a cost of $349. Argh are we
seriously talking $349 per year.

I think I'll be seriously looking at debian or even going back to Slack.

Jon