Re: [LUG] Disappointed with RH :was: redhat no longer producingerrata.

Brough, Tom wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>A question for those of you running production webservers on RedHat
system.
>>What a you going to be using after RedHat stop producing errata on 31 Dec
>
> 03 ?

Yes <9 2003-12-31, 9 = 2004-April - see site for details.

> RH have "gone commercial"

Redhat have always been "commercial". It is a business, it HAS to remain
solvent, otherwise it HAS to cease trading. Although I understand Redhat
has been profitable for some time.

I think what we are seeing is Redhat discovering it is taken seriously
in the enterprise server market, where 300 quid a year is frankly peanuts.

Many of my old clients who ran manufacturing systems were paying  HP ~10
to 50 thousand a year per server, for hardware, software supports, and
updates. Although for this you do get some pretty good service; (4 hour
on site hardware support), custom patch tapes if required, monthly CD
updates, unlimited 24x7 hardware and software support etc etc. Although
I suspect there is a healthy profit margin, which might have been spent
on product development.

I don't fully understand Redhat's position yet, and I think that alone
will cause many people to shed Redhat in favour of Debian, and I'm sure
this isn't Redhat's desire.

As for beta testing Enterprise edition, you'll be doing that whatever
Linux distro you run. Enterprise wil never be suitabe for home users, as
Redhat will prioritise things like GUI enhancements (transparent
consoles), well behind ensure there are no less bugs in hardware drivers.

The gap I see, are they abandoning the fight for the corporate desktop,
or is there more to the strategy than that?

> As for K12LTSP (Red Hat based Linux Terminal Server Project for Schools),
> well I will have to wait and see which way the K12LTSP team are going to
> jump, but I should imagine that this is not going to be helpful to those
> schools that have adopted it. Its possible that the team will adopt Fedora
> in order to keep the right to publish downloads, but I'm not sure if
fedora
> is every going to be stable enough. Like it or

Schools ain't going to be paying for Linux operating system software,
they simply can't afford to and free software isn't that well established.

- --
GPG Key updated start of November due to expiry of subkey.
Any problems use sks.dnsalias.net to refresh the key from
as pgp.mit.edu is being difficult for reasons unknown.