[LUG] Disappointed with RH :was: redhat no longer producing errata.

>Hi all,
>A question for those of you running production webservers on RedHat system.
>What a you going to be using after RedHat stop producing errata on 31 Dec
03 ?

>I'm thinking of moving all our servers over to debian. Has any one any
>experience of running coldfusion on Debian servers.

RH have "gone commercial"

Your choices are:

Sign up for Enterprise Edition (with a starship type fee).
Go to Fedora (Which is the "community" version of RAH and as such a "rolling
beta" product)
Move to another distro.

RH are in their rights to make this move, but I think personally its a big
mistake. They are trying to keep one foot in each camp but the foot in the
commercial camp is much more firmly routed. I'm not sure if I want to
support the Fedora project. On the one hand it is community lead, on the
other its being used (openly) as a sandbox testing ground for all things RH
Enterprise, I'm not sure I want to be used as a RH beta tester in the same
way that a certain Redmond based company uses its users as beta testers.

As for K12LTSP (Red Hat based Linux Terminal Server Project for Schools),
well I will have to wait and see which way the K12LTSP team are going to
jump, but I should imagine that this is not going to be helpful to those
schools that have adopted it. Its possible that the team will adopt Fedora
in order to keep the right to publish downloads, but I'm not sure if fedora
is every going to be stable enough. Like it or not RH have been a flagship
for the linux movement (not to belittle  the efforts of SUSE, Debian,
Slackware etc...),  RH's new policy is potentially more damaging to the
advocacy of linux than SCO's recent actions.

Personally ... Im going to be looking at debian (for production stuff)  and
possible slackware / skolelinux (for the schools research stuff Im doing).

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.