RE: [LUG] Disappointed with RH :was: redhat no longer producing errata.

Simon Said:

>Schools ain't going to be paying for Linux operating system software,
>they simply can't afford to and free software isn't that well established.

<rant>

This is precisely why I am disappointed with RH. First RH foster the K12LTSP
teams efforts, ( and I must say they (K12LTSP) put together a fairly
comprensive "click and go" product). Now RH have effectively pulled the rug
from under the schools feet. Im taking Kai's recommendation on board and
looking at SkoleLinux. If it does the same things as K12LTSP then I will
dump advocating RH and K12LTSP to schools and go with Skole instead, a
painful move.

If you look at the history of the K12LTSP group, you may note that the Linux
Community (and RH to a certain extent) jumped in when M$ got heavy with
schools about licensing issues. Many schools that have gone to K12LTSP may
now perceive what RH are doing in a similar light (when they realise the
impact of RH strategy changes).

>From a work point of view, Im STILL trying to advocate use of linux. This
was going to be RH based, as used to have stable download editions  for
"proof of principal", and could therefore then justify a properly supported
contract with RH. Now I have no future download editions (apart from
"Betaware" Fedora) so I cant do the "proof of principal" (or at least not
with the same degree of stability)  in order to justify giving RH contracted
business. Conclusions: Im disappointed with RH, RH are more unlikely to get
a support contract deal from my employers, and I look like a fool in front
of my proprietry orientated colleagues.

While I can understand RH not wanting to support the home / desktop user
anymore, and wanting to concentrate on their profitable business
opportunites, their "download" and boxed set offerings where part of their
public face. I think they have miss calculated how much future revenue these
outlets could bring them. Sorry its the way I feel but RH have made a BIG
mistake (IMHO of course).

</rant>

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.