Re: [LUG] Installation onto a Firewire Disk

On Monday 17 Nov 2003 7:36 pm, Neil Stone wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > Tell me more (like how big is the firewire disc, what other connection
> > methods does the box have etc.) - off-list if you like. I'll have a hunt
> > through the documentation of the super-small distros.
>
> I think the problem is more boot loader orientated... correct me if i am
> wrong.. but you will need to tell the computer to boot from a firewire
> device...

That's what I'm hoping - with the distro that fits on a USB stick, there may
already be a suitable boot image for Firewire. If Firewire isn't listed as a
bootable device in BIOS, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

OK, the distro I've seen is RUNT. ResNet USB Network Tester - based on
Slackware. Comes with a floppy image for those systems that don't support
booting from USB but also has a bootable USB image for those that can by
running LILO. LXFDVD 46.Nov 03.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/runt/?topic_id=146%2C150
It contains an initial ramdisk to load usb-storage related modules and it
pauses for 5 seconds to allow the drive to initialize.
(Neat trick).
kernel 2.4.21

Or there's Morphix-Light that might be worth a try, although it is larger than
RUNT at just over 200MB.
"Oh, and it fits on mini-cd's"
http://morphix.sourceforge.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=2
http://am.xs4all.nl/phpwiki/index.php/Main-lightGUI