[LUG] Windows XP, a review ?

Hi All, I thought I might share this experience with the group.
I know it was self-inflicted but it was done with a machine that I didn't care if it got trashed, may get a few chuckles...

I use Linux exclusively, I have for some time now but I have recently installed Windowx XP on another machine.
The install went well, took about 45 minutes and a couple of reboots. I then discovered that my graphics card and TV card were not recognised so I set about finding drivers and installing them. Many more reboots later, all my hardware was working and I was happy.
I then realised that Windows hadn't installed any applications, apart from a simple web-browser (with no Java support) called Internet explorer, and a few other useless things such as Media player. The most useful "free" application seemed to be the "notepad" text editor..

Connecting to the Internet was easy, IP settings were obtained by DHCP. First problem, my homepage had been set to "www.something at Microsoft.com" which was rejected by my Squid proxy as a "security risk". Never mind, I soon changed this.

Then, I thought I would try to download a few mp3's, see how far I could get. I Googled and came up with a site listing mp3's for download and started clicking a few links.. After a while (and no mp3's) later, I must have had 20 browser windows open. They were popping up faster than I could shoot them down. I had Adaware (Adwatch) and a virus real-time monitor running and they were both going banannas too ! Warnings kept appearing telling to accept this certificate, all of which I declined. More certificiates, more popup windows appeared. Finally, Internet explorer suddenly announced, "Sorry I cant continue" and closed itself down. Phew, what a relief..

Then I noticed my desktop had several new internet short-cuts pointing to mainly gambling or sex sites. They were not there before !!! (delete, delete)
I then opened IE again and immediately had several pop-up windows appear...sex sites mainly. Everytime I closed one, another appeared..I couldn't stop them..
My computer had been well and truely trashed...

To cut a long story short, I spent the next 90 minutes removing advertising software that had been installed without my knowing.
Two viruses were found but fortunately the virus monitor had denied access to run them. Six or seven rougue applications had been installed and it was not until I had gone through the registry with a fine tooth comb that I was reasonably happy I had got rid of "most" of it.

Aren't I glad I use Linux, you bet !
I could NEVER go back...Pity the poor s*ds who use this every day.
By the way, you should also see my router's firewall log. I had 81 warning emails of port scans.

Frank.