Re: [LUG] ADSL BRIDGE/ROUTER

Darren Ward wrote:
On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 19:41, Michael Chidley wrote:

On Friday 14 November 2003 7:40 pm, Neil Williams wrote:

On Friday 14 Nov 2003 7:04 pm, Michael Chidley wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody know what is the difference between an `ADSL Bridge` and an
`ADSL Router`?

The ADSL is irrelevant to the difference, it works the same with ISDN etc.

(I may have all this wrong, but I think this is how it works)
Basically it's more intelligent bandwidth allocations. A router doesn't do
any more work than a hub as far as sharing bandwidth within the local
network. A bridge is more akin to a switch which ensures that each machine
gets the full bandwidth available. A hub sends packets to all machines,
whereas a switch knows which machines don't need to be bothered with which
packets.

Hmm...Thanks Neil....The reason I was asking was because I am getting ADSL on the 26/11 and have been reading the HOWTOs....but they are going right over my head.... The ISP has sent me this info below (some bits changed!) and I have installed a ADSL Router and NIC in my computer.

Username: myusername@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Password: password

Protocol: PPP/VC (sometimes called: PPPoA or PPP over ATM)
VPI=0 VCI=38
Encapsulation method: VCMUX
Modulation method:  G.DMT

Primary DNS Server: 194.106.56.6
Secondary DNS Server: 194.106.33.42

If somebody could give me an idoits guide what to do........

Mike

What asdl router did you buy?

if this has ethernet port then no config of the pc is needed, if DHCP is
available on the router?

Darren

Dare I suggest reading the friendly manual ?

yes i do..

Neil Stone

Flash on telnet://TR3.Org:3000 and irc://irc.r-t-f-m.org.uk/DCLUG

SELECT * FROM windows.users WHERE (clue != NULL AND clue > 0);

0 row(s) returned.

"Backups are for wimps. Real men upload their data to an FTP site and have everyone else mirror it." - Linus Torvalds