Re: [LUG] Good media player ?

On Friday 17 Oct 2003 2:30 pm, richard.fuller1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've installed RedHat 9 and it seems (?) that the basic personal
> install does not include a multi-purpose media player.
>
> CD player yes, CD ripper yes but not a media player that will play
> .avi's .......mpg's........wav........mov.........mp3...........asf
> etc.

I'm a tad surprised that RH9 didn't put XMMS in the Multimedia menu for KDE
but it sounds like you'd appreciate a more friendly distro like Yoper where
the KDE menus are renamed to less cryptic names - Play a CD, Play an MP3 etc.
instead of kscd and xmms.

> If anyone is familiar with RedHat 9 can they tell me of a good all
> round Media player in the Distribution ??..and is it as easy as double
> clicking on the file to get it to install (?) (probably not I rather
> feel, we are not in windows territory now young man.)

It is almost that easy in KDE or Nautilus, but then you moved to Linux for a
reason and this is one part of that reason - you'll be required to give the
root password before the system will 'execute an arbitrary executable' (in
Windows speak), in this case an installable RPM. We don't want Johnny Jnr.
installing a rootkit/trojan/spyware agent now do we?

--

Neil Williams