Re: [LUG] Good media player ?

Neil Williams wrote:
On Friday 17 Oct 2003 2:30 pm, richard.fuller1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I've installed RedHat 9 and it seems (?) that the basic personal
install does not include a multi-purpose media player.

CD player yes, CD ripper yes but not a media player that will play
.avi's .......mpg's........wav........mov.........mp3...........asf
etc.

I'm a tad surprised that RH9 didn't put XMMS in the Multimedia menu for KDE but it sounds like you'd appreciate a more friendly distro like Yoper where the KDE menus are renamed to less cryptic names - Play a CD, Play an MP3 etc. instead of kscd and xmms.

er.. xmms is there.. doesn't have mp3 support by default due to copyrighted code etc.. You can get rpm's for it tho..

If anyone is familiar with RedHat 9 can they tell me of a good all
round Media player in the Distribution ??..and is it as easy as double
clicking on the file to get it to install (?) (probably not I rather
feel, we are not in windows territory now young man.)

It is almost that easy in KDE or Nautilus, but then you moved to Linux for a reason and this is one part of that reason - you'll be required to give the root password before the system will 'execute an arbitrary executable' (in Windows speak), in this case an installable RPM. We don't want Johnny Jnr. installing a rootkit/trojan/spyware agent now do we?

-- Neil Stone

Flash on telnet://TR3.Org:3000 and irc://irc.r-t-f-m.org.uk/DCLUG

SELECT * FROM windows.users WHERE (clue != NULL AND clue > 0);

0 row(s) returned.

"Backups are for wimps. Real men upload their data to an FTP site and have everyone else mirror it." - Linus Torvalds