Re: [LUG] Installing drivers

On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 8:32 pm, Timsmith09@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Neil
> Too much choice of distro. Your'e just showing off now!  What do you

I haven't tried 'em all, I've just got a subscription to LinuxFormat and they
are all on DVD. I've tried about 10.

> recommend for my hardware?

Of the more commonly used distros, there really is little to choose on the
basis of hardware support. Mandrake tends to have more 'consumer electronics'
type support and always tries to keep upto date with KDE, RedHat is tending
increasingly to the 'enterprise' hardware, SuSE has split the market and has
one distro for each, Debian is much slower at taking on new hardware/software
because of the extra care and testing involved.

Overall, it's much more a choice based around the user. (Now isn't that
refreshing!)

1st time installations: I always recommend Mandrake, others like SuSE.
laptops: Mandrake and RedHat
Old hands: Debian, Slackware

> Asus A7V8X-x mobo on-board sound via VT8235 southbridge
> Athlon XP2000+
> 512Mb PC2100 ram 256Mb PC2700 ram
> Asus AGP8x V9180 video suite graphics card (mx440)
> FDD
> 1st HDD Maxtor diamond max 9 120Gb (boots from this disk, contains Win XP)
> 2nd HDD     "          "          "    "    "      (empty for linux)
> Diamond SupraExpress 56i PCI fax/modem (no driver for linux, conexant HCF)

There might be a driver, it's a case of running a separate detection utility.
It's all in the DCLUG archive (from when I got 2 winmodems running).
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive-Nov02-May03/msg00036.html
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive-Nov02-May03/msg00005.html

> Asus CRW-5224A   CD rewriter
> (Twinhan 1030 satellite DVB PCI card  no drivers written to date )

No idea on that last one - you can check it out at the mandrake hardware
checklist but I can't give you the URL at the mo, the mandrake sites seem to
be down?! v.unusual. Can anyone else verify/solve?

--

Neil Williams