Re: [LUG] centralised management tools

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 17:20, Simon Waters wrote:

An excellent and useful reply.
Basically, the guy who wrote the intial calumny is an arsehole, I just
want a documented demonstration that his nature extends to this particular
bit of FUD.

> HP OpenView is ported I believe, although for all but the biggest
> organisation I think it is pretty much overkill.
>
> IBM have ported their tools.

> > is wholly credible to me that a better way of ensuring it works could
> > be fashioned from statistical calculations and affinities, but I don't
> > think I can do it myself.
>
> What are you wittering about here... Most set policies and have
> mechaniss to see if those policies are complied with, and schemes to
> notify admins, or autocorrect the situation.

Drunkards Walk, Bayesian Statistics, chaos and complexity theories and so
on.  The extent to which starting with a random selection may be better
than believing one can describe and control a mechanistic universe.
Ignore it for the moment, it amounts to a suggestion that the underlying
nature of the universe may be why Open Source development is better than
Prince2.

--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/