[LUG]: [ECDL] Re: easing the task

>> 1. Infrastucture to co-ordinate things (mailing list maybe - wiki space
to put stuff on)
>> 2. Basic structure (go through ECDL syllabus, divide it up, write Linux
based answers so we have an idea of what we need?)
>> 3. Deciding on scope and focus.
>> 4. Maybe getting others involved

One thing that is apparent from the threads so far is the varying
interpretations of the ECDL syllabus. I think we need to clarify what
we're aiming at here.

>From my existing experience & involvement with ECDL, I see it as basically
platform independent material aimed firmly as computer *users* (as opposed
to hobbyists, techies etc.), it's just that existing Courseware authors
have chosen Windows as a basis. I've personally been involved in writing
both Win9x/Office 97 based Content and WinXP/Office XP Content. From a
Linux point of view, we need to think from the *user's* perspective. They
will be sat at a Linux computer that's running any combination of Distro,
kernel and Desktop. A user will not be interested in console methods or
varying distro pros/cons - they just want to use the inteface with a
mouse. On that basis we'll need to cater for either Gnome, KDE or both -
I'd suggest both.

Which brings me neatly to authoring methods. I've mentioned XML/Docbook
before and it sounds like people understand the reasons why that's a good
idea. I would like to mention now though, a feature of Docbook that allows
the management of "dual" Content (ie. Gnome specific and KDE specific
content) in the same source XML.

Although ECDL is modular, there is a need to ensure that the overall
material flows logically - it's not just a matter of setting questions &
answering them. This will require a degree of discipline, firm
organisation and (controversially?) a single "editor-in-chief" to pull all
the content together and well, edit it.

I guess that's my input for item 3 (above).

For items 1 and 4, I'd suggest setting up a project at Sourceforge, that
way we automatically open it up for attracting more authors and has the
benefit of using CVS to handle files which will be a boon if large numbers
of people are contributing asyncronously.

2. Let's get the technical/infrastructure stuff sorted first. We can soon
dive into the actual creative stuff soon enough. It's important the
background project management is sorted first though.

Item 5 should be Licensing. ie. What sort of license is best?

Mart