Re: [LUG]: ECDL: easing the task

It seems reasonable to assume that on Monday 29 September 2003 22:40, Tony
Atkin wrote:

> Having had a quick glance through the ECDL syllabus, it does not seem to
> make any reference to administrator privileges, tasks which require then
> and those which do not.  This would seem to date the syllabus in MS
> windows terms to something pre XP.  Were the syllabus to be updated to
> take this into account it could make the translation to Linux a little
> easier

A nice point, perhaps best dealt with by sending it to the syllabus
makers, and perhaps best sent as a member of the E Linux CDL group or some
similar named ad hoc agglomeration.  ECDLL ECDL(L) ECDL LG AgECDL whatever

> Looking at section 2 in particular it seems to me that there could be at
> least three different answers to some questions, i.e. how to do it at
> the console, how to do it with gnome or kde and how to do it with your
> distributions admin tools.  These can even get mixed up, for example,
> "How to change date and time", in SuSE 8.2 - right click on clock -
> select 'adjust date and time' - enter root password - make changes in
> YaST 'clock and time zone Configuration' dialog.

Two of them are covered for the average user in a reference to "advanced"
material.  And for the advanced user in avanced modules.  There are three
ways to set the time on NT for that matter, one involving a command line
and one a shell script.

I think I would expect a given course to settle on one of the user
interfaces, and actually, I wonder whether either Gnome or KDE is the one
to expect to actually use in an office.  They, like MS' GUI, are heavier
than need-be for many tasks.  There is a discussion goingon on
CIX:open-Source at the moment on this.

It may be that one shows both, then teaches on one, while mentioning that
often in an office the GUI will be simplified to something like AfterStep
or whatever the simple clean one SuSE includes is.

 ** Completeness is not required in order to write a letter. **
--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/