Re: [LUG]: ECDL: easing the task (portmanteau reply)

On 29 Sep 2003 22:11:45 +0100
Paul M <tallpaul@xxxxxxx> wrote:

large (very) snip

> So given there's a definite interest where do we go from here?
>
> Things that occur to me include
>
> 1. Infrastucture to co-ordinate things (mailing list maybe - wiki space
> to put stuff on)
>
> 2. Basic structure (go through ECDL syllabus, divide it up, write Linux
> based answers so we have an idea of what we need?)
>
> 3. Deciding on scope and focus.
>
> 4. Maybe getting others involved.
>
> Any other ideas?

Top of heading now- just back from an evening of jazz and beer- the intitial test is on how the OS works and how you do basics. No problen here as Linux is Linux. We need to provide the instructions for learners and the appropriate answers for the test.

However, the problem as I see it without further checking, is that of deciding which OS programmes we aim to use (i.e. produce teaching/learning materials for) to meet the ECDL requirements.

The ECDL assume people use Windows and Office- so it's clear and easy for them to implement within the vagaries of different Windows and Office versions e.g. ECDL using XP & Office 2000.

We FSF/OS types tend to look at a requirement and select the software that (a.) will do the job, and (b.) we like, as there will often be several programmes that will do (a.).

This means that we will need to ensure that ECDL concentrates on the problem to be set/solved, and its solution, and not upon how the solution is derived. This may require (again bear in mind this is after a good night out, and without checking sources) persuading the powers that be that the requirement is to demonstrate mastery in a choice of ANY GIVEN OS ENVIRONMENT, AND ANY GIVEN SET OF ADDITIONAL PACKAGES. (Sorry, not shouting but emphasising!). "Given", here, means ANY OS and ANY choice of appropriate to the problem software. If you can do it on an X-Box, why not?

Following that means that if the test is upon using, or needing to use a spreadsheet we (a.) select our spreadsheets of choice, and (b.) produce teaching/learning material to support these.

Where it may be more difficult for us is that MS offers a simple (comparatively) solution to a given problem (because the ECDL problem setter assumes incorrectly that all users use MS). This may mean that although Gnumeric (for example) may be able to produce the desired result it may take several operations, or the writing of special formulae, to be successful. In the time frame set, (based on what is available in Excel) the Gnumeric user, although far more capable (in being able to produce results by writing formulae to apply, for example) may or will fail on time.

This applies to the other areas of use, as well, and will need to very carefully considered.

Initially, we may decide to concentrate on delivering an ECDL solution based on any LSB distribution, and any Open Office version. This would at least give us a rational base from which to work. Alternatively, what do you all think?

Too much, too late,

Terence