Re: [LUG] OT DUMB QUESTION PROBABLY - NETWORKING

Neil Stone wrote:

>>> a) whats the max length of cat 5 we can use.
>>

>> erk. Isn't it 200m ?
>>

> I think it is 250M

CAT-5 is suppose to give you 100Mbs ethernet at 100m I believe.

I remember we were close to limits cabling a relatively small office
with the switch in a closet dead center, given the cable runs are rarely
straight to where you want them to go. In that environment correct
working of fullduplex 100Mbps networking was vital as people were
playing with 100MB CAD files all day long.

I've seen 175m quoted for CAT-5 without an technical detail I assume you
get slowers speeds through longer cables, so that might be okay for 10Mbps.

However I've been network troubleshooting in cheapo wired offices which
were pushing cabling limits and the outcome is not pleasant. So I would
suggest you cable assuming 100Mbps networking limits if you ever want to
be able to upgrade reliably, usually this just means locating switches
or hubs in a nice central location.

Of course in those days I knew the cabling limits by heart :-)

As regards wireless, whilst microwave is nominally a line of sight
technology it will happily go through all sorts of things you can't see
through, as your eyes don't work with microwaves.

This is why it seems so hit and miss. Also you can get reflections as
the signal only has to be just above noise levels to work these days.

Typically microwaves go through anything that doesn't get hot quick in a
microwave oven, plastic and some dry building materials are usually fine.

Metal and water (and sugar presumably, should you live in a fairy tale
cottage) will kill microwave transmissions. The frequency is a few
centimeters, so vegetation, or wire mesh fencing may be an issue, even
though light goes through fine, it may diffract microwaves.

Wireless is convenient and fine for many purposes, but cable is more
reliable and faster.

If you like the wireless approach but are concerned about the
limitations, go with access points that support wireless bridging, as
you can then always extend the range with a well placed hub and antennas.

Most wireless suppliers of repute will offer a site survey if you have
any doubts, but it may well be more expensive than buying a few extra
hubs, or borrowing some kit and trying it out for a small deployment.

Two laptops with 2 PCMCIA cards, and maybe an antenna or two, should
prove whether it is likely to work without a survey. Surveys came in
when wireless access points were 650 quid, and cards 150 quid, and
wireless bridging was vapourware, now the bridging hubs are down around
the 150 quid mark, and the PCMCIA cards down to 30 quid, you can buy a
small network for the price of a survey.

Doing a small building I wouldn't bother with survey, if I was asked to
do several hundred desktops somewhere, I'd go with a survey, if only
because if it didn't work afterwards the repercussions are probably
enough to sink small IT companies.

Gamers may find that wireless latencies are significantly more (and less
predictable) than wired networks.