Re: [LUG] OT DUMB QUESTION PROBABLY - NETWORKING

On Sunday 14 September 2003 18:48, paul wrote:
> What precisely is the difference between a hub and a switch,  on ebuyer
> they got networking products, and you can get a switch and network card
> together.

A hub just rebroadcasts all of the packets that arrive at each socket, and
(typically) requires all of the sockets to be running at the same speed
because it doesn't have anything flashy like memory.  A switch, however, can
buffer frames, learns which NUA is on which port and routes packets more or
less intelligently. So they tend to support better-performing networks.
Because they can buffer data, they also get to handle (say) 10Mb/s and
100Mb/s connections at the same time.

> I am using a router and hub and can play games over the network.
>

> One of the kids at the rugby club was asking me about networking, I am just
> not sure on the hub / switch difference, would friends be able to take
> laptops round and just plug in to the network.
>

> Also given the possible distance between his two computers,
>
> a) whats the max length of cat 5 we can use.

erk. Isn't it 200m ?

> b) if we went wireless, do we need line of sight, or are there other issues
> such as distance between computers, computers on different floors of the
> house etc.

Yep - depending on your architecture you'll either wonder why everyone doesn't
use this stuff or why anyone does use it.

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK