Re: [LUG] OT DUMB QUESTION PROBABLY - NETWORKING

On Sunday 14 September 2003 19:52, Neil Stone wrote:

> John Daragon wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 September 2003 18:48, paul wrote:
> >>What precisely is the difference between a hub and a switch,  on ebuyer
> >>they got networking products, and you can get a switch and network card
> >>together.
> >
> > A hub just rebroadcasts all of the packets that arrive at each socket,
> > and (typically) requires all of the sockets to be running at the same
> > speed because it doesn't have anything flashy like memory.  A switch,
> > however, can buffer frames, learns which NUA is on which port and routes
> > packets more or less intelligently. So they tend to support
> > better-performing networks. Because they can buffer data, they also get
> > to handle (say) 10Mb/s and 100Mb/s connections at the same time.
> >
> >>I am using a router and hub and can play games over the network.
> >>

> >>One of the kids at the rugby club was asking me about networking, I am
> >> just not sure on the hub / switch difference, would friends be able to
> >> take laptops round and just plug in to the network.
> >>

> >>Also given the possible distance between his two computers,
> >>
> >>a) whats the max length of cat 5 we can use.
> >
> > erk. Isn't it 200m ?
>
> I think it is 250M
>
> >>b) if we went wireless, do we need line of sight, or are there other
> >> issues such as distance between computers, computers on different floors
> >> of the house etc.
> >
> > Yep - depending on your architecture you'll either wonder why everyone
> > doesn't use this stuff or why anyone does use it.
> >
> >>looking at options,  I know each computer needs a network card and cable
> >>and either a hub or switch.
> >>
> >>The intnetion is to play games over the network and possiby share
> >> internet connection for games over the net,
> >>
> >>We have 2x Win98, 1x XP, most of the other computers will be running
> >> win98 i think.  even though if they are on the net it should not matter.
>
> Of course the easy way to share the internet would be to use a
> Smoothwall as a proxy and firewall (good idea if you use 'doze on the net)
>
> Give me a yell if you need more info on this..

Chaps; sometimes the answer *isn't* linux.  He already has a router (all of
mine have firewall facilities apropriate to at least a domestic environment)
and a hub, so how can adding another box be described as easy in this context
?

jd
--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK