Re: [LUG] linux newb reply

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:20:29 -0700 (PDT)
mark mccready <markmac_2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ok, ive got 2 drives, one 10 and one 60,  if i keep the 10 for windows gaming and install linux SuSe onto the 60gb drive that should be ok?  Im not sure how this works?!  i mean which boots up?  How do you switch between them? Do they share the perphs ?

No problem. If you use SuSE (I'm pretty sure other dists ar the same) you'll use a default bootloader called Grub. this will offer at boot time a selection of choices- you can have several different OSes installed and boot any one of them.

Keep hda (your first drive) for windows. I suggest that you partition the 60 (hdb) into a 1GB swap space (although opinion is divided on this) and several smaller partitions of, say, 10GB each.

This will allow you try other distributions or OSes, as well as providing back up space, while keeping a production version running until you want to change or up-grade, when you merely copy your data etc., to the new OS partition.

SuSE setup allows you to set up partitions etc., when you install.

You can use all your peripherals with what ever OS you boot.

HTH

Terence

PS Back up any windows data you want to keep onto one of your Linux partitions!