Re: [LUG] linux newb reply

>  Im assuming i cant use any of my games on the linux
> platform, do u get many releases linux compatibles?

Some games will run under wine like doom & quake etc. wine is a windows
emulator. I once spent two nights trying to get max payne to run over
wine. I would get so far (bout 5 secs into the game) and then the main
game character would go into a rave dancing like strobotic fit! So id
have to kill it and start to try again. More frustrating then
pleasurable.

There is also wineX which you can download after submitting a
subscription to transgaming - wineX will run GTA-vice city and other
main titles. You can also get a binary that someone built from the
source but its an older version.

www.transgaming.com -contains a list of supported games

www.winehq.com  - contains a list of support apps & games.

In fact if you decide to get a subscription, let me know as i may be
interested in paying half and sharing the files.

Best bet really is to keep a windoze partition for your games. I got 2k
for playing medal of honour (i need to snip the odd kraut for stress
relief)

There are some linux games out there, but at the risk of an oncoming
flame of fury from the list - not many of them at that much cop ;)

Regards,

Luke

p.s regarding your obtaining of a linux dist. Why don't you download the
iso images and burn them to disk? (you have dsl don't u) Its an easy
task, most windows cd-r software will pick up on the .iso extension and
claim it as their file. Just a case of dub clicking the icon and the
burner software will look after the rest.