Re: [LUG] Cheap/Free source of old Sun workstation parts?

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 10:38, pvossler wrote:

> It would be nice to know what happens to all the old hardware from the IT
> Services Dept's at Plymouth & Exeter (I know what happens to all our old Suns
> and SGI systems in Physics - I assure you they get put to good use:)

Disposal of old computer equipment is somewhat tightly controlled I'm
afraid. It usually ends up either:
a) being used as part of a trade-in for new stuff (we are currently
doing this with all the open-access PC's; and there a few hundred of
them);
b) given to schools and the like;
c) kept for spares (I've done this with some of our old sun's)

Selling the stuff off to the public is not now usually done.

John.