Re: [LUG] Remote access

Mark Harvey wrote:
> Many thanfs for the info.
>
> I have now installed minicom - but I still cannot get it to talk to
the modem
> (USR Sportster 33.6 external on the first serial port). It also does not
> support Wyse60 (I'm not sure that that was what was meant - I was
listening
> to instructions over the 'phone - sounded like 'y60' to me but that is
> close!).

I have /dev/modem linked to the relevant serial device, this is
considered "bad form" in some circles as these applications use little
lock files in /var/lock/ to avoid both using the same serial port. But
for as long as you know where the lock files are and why they are there
or always use /dev/modem......

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 May 15  2000 /dev/modem -> ttyS0

I think Minicom assumes it wil talk to /dev/modem. You can change the
settings in Minicom with Ctrl-A O, and pick the serial port settings
option (Ctrl-A Z is your friend).

Try "wy60" for Wyse 60.

Does it really require Wyse 60? Try the application with something more
common like VT100 under Minicom. Most apps are written in a terminal
independent form so only care that the terminal settings are correct,
little errors can be most annoying, not what terminal you have for as
lon as it is "featured" enough.

I don't think many of the Wyse emulators actually implement all the
facilities of a Wyse 60  terminal, but I guess all you need is one that
is as good as the Windows emulator others are using?

I think you'd have to use Kermit with Wy60, at least I'm not sure that
Minicom will work correctly so a command line tools is probably better
for this.

> I hope I don't have to resort to a windows solution - I get fed up
with having
> to use it at work!

A Windows solution to get a dumb terminal emulation - I'd be very
surprised - this is back to the days of Unix, I'm sure there is a simple
solution you just have to find it.

Heck we used free Unix terminal emulation software to emulate IBM
graphics terminals, and it was better than using the actual terminals
;-), inspite of IBM's MVS TCP/IP implementation being so bad people were
still selling competing implementations.