Re: [LUG] Remote access

Thanks again.

Comments in;line in the relevent place.

On Wednesday 30 Jul 2003 10:05 am, Simon Waters wrote:

> Mark Harvey wrote:
> > Many thanfs for the info.
> > I have now installed minicom - but I still cannot get it to talk to
> > the modem (USR Sportster 33.6 external on the first serial port). It also
> > does not support Wyse60 (I'm not sure that that was what was meant - I
> > was listening to instructions over the 'phone - sounded like 'y60' to me
> > but that is close!).
>
> I have /dev/modem linked to the relevant serial device, this is
> considered "bad form" in some circles as these applications use little
> lock files in /var/lock/ to avoid both using the same serial port. But
> for as long as you know where the lock files are and why they are there
> or always use /dev/modem......
>
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 May 15  2000 /dev/modem -> ttyS0
>
> I think Minicom assumes it wil talk to /dev/modem. You can change the
> settings in Minicom with Ctrl-A O, and pick the serial port settings
> option (Ctrl-A Z is your friend).

I have set minicom to talk to ttyS0 and I now have access to the modem. I need
to be root though or I cannot start minicom as I get the error 'cannot create
lock file.'

> Try "wy60" for Wyse 60.
>
> Does it really require Wyse 60? Try the application with something more
> common like VT100 under Minicom. Most apps are written in a terminal
> independent form so only care that the terminal settings are correct,
> little errors can be most annoying, not what terminal you have for as
> lon as it is "featured" enough.

I think it does have to be Wyse60 - I just tried vt100 and was unable to log
out of the software package - I think they use the coding of the function
keys and I do not know what key code is sent by f10 - I have been told that
Wyse 60 works though

Tried compiling Wy60 - got a failure message on the make step. - result below.

[mark@xxxxxxxxx wy60-2.0.8]$ make
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DETCDIR="\"/usr/local/etc\""  -g -O2 -c
wy60.c
wy60.c: In function `wy60_setupterm':
wy60.c:1336: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
wy60.c: In function `putCapability':
wy60.c:2354: `tputs' undeclared (first use in this function)
wy60.c:2354: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
wy60.c:2354: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [wy60.o] Error 1

> I don't think many of the Wyse emulators actually implement all the
> facilities of a Wyse 60  terminal, but I guess all you need is one that
> is as good as the Windows emulator others are using?
>
> I think you'd have to use Kermit with Wy60, at least I'm not sure that
> Minicom will work correctly so a command line tools is probably better
> for this.
>
> > I hope I don't have to resort to a windows solution - I get fed up
> > with having to use it at work!
>
> A Windows solution to get a dumb terminal emulation - I'd be very
> surprised - this is back to the days of Unix, I'm sure there is a simple
> solution you just have to find it.

I'm sure there is a solution. I just wish it was easy. I think that the s/ware
supplier makes things hrder to ensure that they supply the software. At a
high cost! If the guy from ylem is reading this, I'd be interested in a
little more info about Mobius (off list) if poss.

> Heck we used free Unix terminal emulation software to emulate IBM
> graphics terminals, and it was better than using the actual terminals
> ;-), inspite of IBM's MVS TCP/IP implementation being so bad people were
> still selling competing implementations.

Sigh.

Regards,

Mark
--
For information on Newquay, Cornwall, and the surrounding area:
http://www.Newquay-Plus.co.uk