Re: [LUG] ide raid woes

Steve Crook wrote:

I've seen it happen twice where multiple drives have failed within a
RAID5 array.  Servers can run for years whilst all the drives are
spinning constantly.  Stopping them after x years and expecting them to
spin up again is a different matter.

The common engineering solution to this problem seems to a repeated
"tapping" with a hammer, to shock the disk back into life. I've seen
this work on occasion but never documented as an approved fix.

:o

this reminds me of a 'fix' for the old acorn a3000 machines we had at school. occasionally the memory would come slightly loose and the machine would fail. a swift fist on the top was all that was required to 'fix' it...

- danbee