Re: [LUG] ide raid woes

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 02:41:48PM +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:

> PS i wonder what the actual probability is for a double disk disaster? I
> suspose you would have to factor disk life, mean time between failures and
> the actual normal distribution of failure for a given disk which i suspect
> the manufactures would not freely give away.

I've seen it happen twice where multiple drives have failed within a
RAID5 array.  Servers can run for years whilst all the drives are
spinning constantly.  Stopping them after x years and expecting them to
spin up again is a different matter.

The common engineering solution to this problem seems to a repeated
"tapping" with a hammer, to shock the disk back into life.  I've seen
this work on occasion but never documented as an approved fix.