Re: [LUG] sawfish weirdness

On Monday 23 Jun 2003 9:20 am, Steve Marvell wrote:
> I'm using fairly default Gnome, other than a few focus behaviour
> changes. That is, I'm using sawfish.
>
> Now, what's weir is that I'm getting some odd (maybe) mouse events. I
> notice it in emacs and mozilla, which are the only X apps i really
> use. In emacs, the cursor goes to the top left and in mozilla, I get a
> "click" over some text I type and have to type it again, since that
> click highlights it and I overwrite it.
>
> Any ideas?

I've seen it happen with ALL distros in KDE and Gnome, but each time has been
on the laptop - I can't remember it happening with a desktop machine. (That
doesn't mean it hasn't happened.) The laptop is a particular problem
associated with the trackpad. If I could be bothered to use a PS/2 mouse, the
problem goes away - at least to the extent of a 'normal' desktop machine.

So suspect your mouse, if it's at all unusual - trackballs or other stationary
devices.

My laptop also generates freak F3, 4 and q keystrokes. (Note: q not Q - no
matter what the Caps Lock setting.) q is a real problem when trying to play
Sokoban as the app just quits silently. q is also a problem in Vi. F3 causes
horrendous problems when surfing in Galeon (Open Location box pops up and
then loses focus). Other problems include suddenly relocating the KDE panel
to the right edge of the desktop instead of bottom edge. Changing to Desktop
3 (presumably linked to the F3 freak keystroke) or entirely changing the
order of open windows so that the email message I'm working on suddenly
disappears behind an open browser window. Maddening. So don't think that just
because my errors are similar that there is necessarily any link!!!

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/