Re: [LUG] just saying hello

On Monday 24 March 2003 12:49 pm, Andrew Hoskin wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am Andrew and I am a newbie from Cornwall just taking time to say
> hello and to check outgoing mail is working.

Welcome to the list!

> this morning decided to take the plunge and downloaded and installed
> mandrake 9.1. Installation was straight forward with all hardware
> detected and configured, even the speedtouch adsl usb modem (just needed

Bah! Another broadband user bragging again. Tcch. I've gotta wait for the next
LinuxFormat DVD for Mandrake9.1

> to download the microcode). the only problem that i have encountered
> post installation was the fact that the download version of mandrake
> doesn't come with java, but am very pleased with myself, being only a

Most Linux distros don't - Sun insists on a restrictive licence and don't
allow magazines to have Java on a cover disc either. Without ADSL, I haven't
had Java on any machine for over 2 years now. It's simply too big to
download. Haven't missed it yet.

> Well to sum up I now have a working system with internet access, sitting
> back with a smug grin on my face drinking coffee. One small step for
> linux but a giant leap for me. If i do encounter problems don't worry
> you will be the first to hear *chuckle*.

Don't worry, this isn't off topic - it's what the list was designed to
achieve: communication between Linux users new and old.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/