Re: [LUG] Closed to Open Source. was: Unix file system folder limits

from bill@xxxxxxxx

I am a firm believer in open source but there is a fundemental misunderstanding when discussing developing larger scale software.

The product we are developing is a much larger project than Zimmian or netscape.

Our last product Mobius (see ylem.com for scope of product) stands in excess of 6 million

Everyone who works on our products records time spent and the tasks worked on during that period. We have data collected over 25 years so the figures I quote are accurate. Being a smaller developer our costs are much lower than Navision or SAP.

Cutting code is approx 10 - 15% of the cost of producing the product.
Approx 25% takes place in design and specification this cost has to be incurred before anyone else could start to work on a large scale system. This figure would increase if we were to outsource the other tasks. We know this because we looked at offshore development and ruled it out on overhead costs of management. I would think that there would be a bigger increase if we were to go open source.

The balance is in testing and documentation all of which would need completion before we could ask for support.

Plus Mobius today has no known faults so customers say why pay for support if it doesnt go wrong and our experience over the years is that customers do not need a support contract. (Ask Rick at Supertramp they use it).

So we either have to charge for the product or build faults in so that customers need support. Given these choices we choose to charge for the product and produce good quality software.

Currently to go somway towards open source we are offering Mobius free of Ylem licence fees and charge for installation training and support if the customer wants support.   I have serious concerns over publishing 6 million pounds worth of code if its ripped off I cant afford to sue a large company.

Microsoft are now a competitor with Great Plains and Navision so we have an uphill struggle with marketing against the big guns.

This is a dilema we all have to solve if we want the majority of software to be open source.

Thanks for the input and keep the ideas coming in I am not closed to any suggestions as to how we can all solve this issue.

Ta Bill