Re: [LUG] CD writing - must I disable ATAPI support?

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

> ARGHGHGHGHGHGGH!
>
> third attempt lucky? .... :p

Funny you should mention multiple attempts here.

>>>In lilo.conf:
>>>  append="hdc=ide-cd,hdd=ide-scsi"

>>Are these assuming that ide-cd is a module, as Woody 2.4 kernel
>>seems to have ATAPI built in.

> yup, stock kernel.  the cdrom still uses ide-cd for ATAPI
iirc, so telling
>  the module to ignore hdd and using ide-scsi instead fixes it.

I see no ide-cd module, the default 2.4 kernel appears to have
IDE-CD support compiled in and not in a module, so I need to
rebuild the kernel AFAICT ?! Yuck.

I can't figure out the Debian kernel-images at all, if I lift
the "config" files from the obvious directory on the CD they are
not consistent with the kernel I thought they were.

For example the bf2.4 install supports ReiserFS, but when I grab
the "obvious" config file Reiser is not enabled, unless this is
an issue with integrating the 2.4.18 kernel-sources......

I'm really hacked off with this, I have done multiple kernel
builds for PCMCIA before with 2.4, but the Debian one just isn't
playing ball -- I've done an embarassing number of builds (okay
quite a few were because I was tired and missed obvious stuff).

This box had some interrupt issues before, which might be
relevant but I can't get it to recognise the i82365 Intel ISA to
PCMCIA adaptor when I build the kernel - I can boot from the
rescbf24 image (root=/dev/hda1) and I am networked. Build a
kernel image using the Debian tools, and no i82365 is found on
boot -- it sit the "no such device" error I didn't note the
correct wording.

I know that modern kernels drive the hardware just dandy, even
without PCMCIA_CS (although it is better) usually the interrupt
issue is between the mouse and the Wireless card, and fixed with
PCMCIA_CS by excluding the interrupt (4 IIRC) in
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts.

Some kernel builds give me some weird /proc/interrupt entries -
has something changed recently in 2.4 (or is Debian different in
some subtle way?).

Some kernel builds had no "pcmcia" entry in /proc/devices, even
though the "config" file said "yes". Anyone know precisely what
puts this entry in /proc/devices, and when?

 Simon, miffed

PS: Ironically SCSI support for CD works fine (well reading
CD's, I want the PCMCIA card up to download me some CD images).