Re: [LUG] CD writing - must I disable ATAPI support?

On Monday 10 February 2003 3:16 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
> > ARGHGHGHGHGHGGH!
> >
> > third attempt lucky? .... :p
>
> Funny you should mention multiple attempts here.

it was my third attempt to send this mail from the right email address ;)

> >>Are these assuming that ide-cd is a module, as Woody 2.4 kernel
> >>seems to have ATAPI built in.
> >
> > yup, stock kernel.  the cdrom still uses ide-cd for ATAPI
>
> iirc, so telling
>
> >  the module to ignore hdd and using ide-scsi instead fixes it.
>
> I see no ide-cd module, the default 2.4 kernel appears to have
> IDE-CD support compiled in and not in a module, so I need to
> rebuild the kernel AFAICT ?! Yuck.

wibble:/usr/local/src# find /lib/modules/2.4.18-686/ -name ide-cd.o
/lib/modules/2.4.18-686/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-cd.o

that's the stock woody 2.4.18-686 kernel image.

> I can't figure out the Debian kernel-images at all, if I lift
> the "config" files from the obvious directory on the CD they are
> not consistent with the kernel I thought they were.

use /boot/config-<version>, thats the config file used to configure the
matching /boot/vmlinuz-<version>.

You'll probnably want to use make-kpkg to build the actual kernel, although
i've not yet found a box (not even a stinkpad laptop now) that needs a kernel
rebuild to work with all hardware the kernel supports.

> For example the bf2.4 install supports ReiserFS, but when I grab
> the "obvious" config file Reiser is not enabled, unless this is
> an issue with integrating the 2.4.18 kernel-sources......
>
> I'm really hacked off with this, I have done multiple kernel
> builds for PCMCIA before with 2.4, but the Debian one just isn't
> playing ball -- I've done an embarassing number of builds (okay
> quite a few were because I was tired and missed obvious stuff).
>
> This box had some interrupt issues before, which might be
> relevant but I can't get it to recognise the i82365 Intel ISA to
> PCMCIA adaptor when I build the kernel - I can boot from the
> rescbf24 image (root=/dev/hda1) and I am networked. Build a
> kernel image using the Debian tools, and no i82365 is found on
> boot -- it sit the "no such device" error I didn't note the
> correct wording.

hmm, I have an intel i82365 pcmcia card, and that works outofthebox, too.

> I know that modern kernels drive the hardware just dandy, even
> without PCMCIA_CS (although it is better) usually the interrupt
> issue is between the mouse and the Wireless card, and fixed with
> PCMCIA_CS by excluding the interrupt (4 IIRC) in
> /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.
>
> Some kernel builds give me some weird /proc/interrupt entries -
> has something changed recently in 2.4 (or is Debian different in
> some subtle way?).

what sort of entries?

> Some kernel builds had no "pcmcia" entry in /proc/devices, even
> though the "config" file said "yes". Anyone know precisely what
> puts this entry in /proc/devices, and when?

modprobe pcmcia_core should do it.  You'll probbaly want the
kernel-pcmcia-modules-<version> package, for all the pcmcia stuff, though ;)

 ~ Theo

- --
Theo Zourzouvillys
<theo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>