Re: [LUG] Mozilla problems

Neil Williams wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
>
>>The main downside so far is that it is very resource hungry, and
>>I suspect some lurking bugs.
>>
>>Filtering such as Spam Assassin is better done before the mail
>>client IMHO, as it will make it easier to switch clients.
>

> How, exactly? I'm using dial-up (and paying per-minute too so I'm
> offline a lot and online for as brief a time as possible).

What's that costs a month for someone like you?

> SpamAssassin
> is actually only needed for certain accounts as my main
accounts already
> implement SpamAssassin at the server. That was how I found out
about
> SpamAssassin originally.
>
> To filter before the mail client, I presume you mean
fetchmail? How does
> that work alongside kppp - can fetchmail be run on command
transparently
> behind KPPP and Mozilla?

Oh POP3 - I remember that (he says scratching head).

Kppp can run any command you like, so it can run fetchmail or a
script calling fetchmail, but I plead ignorance to fetchmail.

> The SpamAssassin site goes into details of .procmailrc and it
all looks
> very cryptic

Procmailrc files look like greek to me as well, I've survived
years of *nix without doing anything in procmailrc except
editting the field the author of Stump suggests need editting in
his documentation.

>>Indeed rumour has it Theo uses procmail to filter his mailing
>>lists out, my mailing lists are still filtered in the client,
>>but I'll get there eventually.

Maybe speaking greek helps ;-)

But I think if you find the right "fetchmail" example, you
shouldn't have to plug in more that POP3 server, account,
password, and that you want it filtered via spam assassin.

Only you can answer whether it is worth the effort, if Kmail
does everything you need then don't bother.

 Simon

PS: You're all invited to telnet://wretched.demon.co.uk:25/ to
test my new tar pit that a nice guy ported from a BSD OS <eek>.
For this evening only, otherwise you'll be labelled a spammer
and cast into the bowels of the earth (or similar).