Re: [LUG] Mozilla problems

Simon Waters wrote:

> The main downside so far is that it is very resource hungry, and
> I suspect some lurking bugs.
>
> Filtering such as Spam Assassin is better done before the mail
> client IMHO, as it will make it easier to switch clients.

How, exactly? I'm using dial-up (and paying per-minute too so I'm
offline a lot and online for as brief a time as possible). SpamAssassin
is actually only needed for certain accounts as my main accounts already
implement SpamAssassin at the server. That was how I found out about
SpamAssassin originally.

To filter before the mail client, I presume you mean fetchmail? How does
that work alongside kppp - can fetchmail be run on command transparently
behind KPPP and Mozilla?

The SpamAssassin site goes into details of .procmailrc and it all looks
very cryptic - plus it appears to only help local mail (from the LAN) -
so I would have to implement fetchmail to transfer POP email on a remote
server to the local mail agents?

> Indeed rumour has it Theo uses procmail to filter his mailing
> lists out, my mailing lists are still filtered in the client,
> but I'll get there eventually.

Sounds like a lot of (unnecessary) work compared to KMail.

> I assume Spam Assassin can be trivially invoked from '.filter',
> if you don't want to build it into Postfix.

It can be run using a daemon using spamc < message. (SpamAssassin is a
Perl script after all.)

> Here for TMDA I have;
>
> $ cat .forward
> "| /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/tmda-0.65/bin/tmda-filter"
>
> Which consumes the vast majority of my spam, currently only
> letting in spam mimicing mail bounces, alledgely coming from
> people I know, or from spammers who whitelist themselves (1 so far).

Is it worth the effort of an intermediary between Mozilla and the POP
server when KMail does it all already?

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk