Re: [LUG] GeForce 4 drivers

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 21:56, David Johnson wrote:
Heres how to install them under redhat 8.0

The drivers you my need the up to date version!!! but the principle is the
same..

Step 1> Download the following from NVidia's site. (Note that the
NVIDIA_kernel is the **src.rpm** rpm file and the NVIDIA_GLX is a **rpm**):
 NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
and
 NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm

Step 2> Make sure you have the kernel headers installed along with all other
dev tools - these are needed along with other dependencies. The best way to
ensure that you have all dependencies is to just go start menu > system
settings > packages > and in the development section choose the Kernel
development packge and install the whole thing.

Step 3> In a gnome terminal window do a "rpmbuild --rebuild
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm" to create drivers for the RH 8.0 kernel.
(This will create the binary RPM in
"/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm")

Confirm this.

Note: "rpm --rebuild" does not work with newer versions of rpm so use
"rpmbuild --rebuild".
 Also do the rebuild in "X" in a gnome terminal. I dont know why but I had
problems doing the rebuild and especially installing the kernel on command
line. when I did this in a Gnome terminal in a runing Xserver it works fine.
So do it in a gnome terminal.

STEP 4> Installed this new (NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm)
 "rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm"

Note: It is important that you do this step also in a gnome terminal in a
xserver session and not on command line. When doing through a command line
the rpm install hanged and did not complete, I had to restart my computer. (I
dont know why). But it works great in a terminal window in gnome and
completes fine.
 The rpm after installation may complain that the nvidia_kernel is export
tainted. This is OK ignore it. To read more on export tained and what it
means:
 http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted

Step 5>Now log out of gnome and go to the command line. Install the GLX
(NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm)
 "rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm"

Note: I did this on the command line outside of gnome and it works so just do
it guys the same way :-)

Step 6> Edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and make a backup copy of the
original:

- Remove the Load "dri" line.
 - Change the Driver line from "nv" to "nvidia"