Re: [LUG] USB scanner and SuSE 8.0. PATH problem?

On Friday 10 January 2003 12:52 am, Keith Abraham wrote:
> I've removed the Sane 1.0.7 rpm from my SuSE 8.0
> installation and compiled the Sane 1.0.9 tevion9693usb
> backend from crapsite.net (required for my Medion usb scanner).
>
> The outcome is that sane-find-scanner reports it can't
> find the scanner. Trying the same as root reports
> "command not found"!
>
> KDE's contol centre finds the scanner OK as available
> hardware and as a USB device.
>
> So this looks like a PATH problem to me. I checked the
> file list for the old sane 1.0.7 against the newly installed sane.
> Sure enough SuSE's Sane rpm installs it's files in different
> locations to those of the tarball.
> ie:
> old saned  in /usr/sbin/
> new saned in /usr/local/sbin/
>
> old scanimage in /usr/X11R6/bin/
> new scanimage in /usr/local/bin/
>
> old scanner conf files are in /etc/saned/
> new scaner conf files in /usr/local/etc/saned.
>
> Messing about with the system environment is a bit
> beyond me and I'm not even sure that this is will correct
> the problem.
>
> Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.
>
> Keith

Doesn't sound like a path problem to me.  Type $PATH at the command line-
you should see /usr/local/bin in there.  I'm betting that if you try that
again as root it will not be there, which explains why you get 'command
not found'.  As root you will need to call the programme with it's full
path i.e. /usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner.  You might also like to try
scanimage -L .

It might be a good idea to check your library paths if sane has compiled
something into /usr/local/lib.  /etc/ld.so.conf should contain a line for
this directory.  As root, run ldconfig to update things.  If you run
"ldconfig -p |grep sane" you should get confirmation that your system is
aware of the required libraries

My recompiled sane is on my home machine which I can't get to right now so
I can't be specific, but it might be a good idea to check in /etc/sane.d.
In dll.conf just uncomment the backend you are using and leave the rest
commented out.  Also check that the .conf file for your new backend is
there.  If I remember correctly my setup only started working when I had
edited this file (in my case plustek.conf) to include the vendorid and
the product id in the usb section.  Can't remember quite where I fould
this info, (perhaps "cat /proc/scsi/scsi")

Cheers

Tony